So one good thing about this whole real foods adventure is that it is forcing me to be more creative not only eating out but also in the kitchen. I am trying to find ways to eat less meat since that is what is recommended, and also it gets expensive buying organic meat. I came across a recipe for Quinoa Zucchini Fritters, I have never made fritters before, but I had all the ingredients already and thought why not?! OH….MY….GOODNESS!!!
These are my new favorite! They were so delicious and filling! The crispiness on the outside and then the cheesy goodness on the inside….yum! I am not goonna lie, the husband looked at me like ‘this is what we are really having for dinner??’ But he even thoroughly enjoyed them (or was nice enough to eat them and say he loved it for my sake 😉 ). They take a little time to prep, which I am finding is going to be something I am just going to have to get used to in this whole process, but they make 12 fritters. It was even better for my lunch the next day!
Parmesan Zucchini Fritters
- 3 medium zucchini, grated
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl. Toss the grated zucchini with salt and place in the strainer. Allow zucchini to sit about 12 minutes, then press and squeeze all water from zucchini. Repeat the process, tossing with an additional salt and allowing zucchini to sit an additional 10 minutes. Again press and squeeze all water from zucchini.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add the quinoa and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until the water is absorbed, about 6-9 minutes
- Combine zucchini, quinoa, parmesan, egg, thyme, garlic powder, and black pepper. Scoop small handfuls of the zucchini mixture and form small, round patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the fritters to the pan and allow to cook until edges begin to turn golden, about 4-6 minutes. Flip with a spatula and cook about 4 minutes more.