We recently went to a happy hour where I saw someone order a flatbread that looked amazing and ever since I had been craving one! So I decided to give into my craving and make one 🙂 . And oh my, am I glad I did!
I actually did not follow a recipe, shocking I know, mainly because I needed to use the ingredients I already had in my fridge. I also finished it off with a drizzle of the Shallot Balsamic Sauce I made in the previous post, and it was the perfect way to use up the leftover sauce. But you could use a balsamic glaze or even just a drizzle of good balsamic vinegar, or leave it plain. This dish came together super quick. If your holiday season is anything like ours then you need a quick go to meal like this during the craziness of it all 🙂 .
Mushroom, Arugula, and Goat Cheese Flatbread
- 2 whole wheat flatbreads
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup goat cheese (I didnt really measure this so just enough to cover, use your personal preference 🙂 )
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 3 handfuls of arugula
- 10 oz. shitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- Balsamic shallot sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Brush olive oil on flatbreads and once oven is preheated add to oven and bake until golden brown, about 15 mins.
- Melt olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add onion and mushrooms and cook until onions are translucent. Add arugula until wilted. Add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Once flatbread is done pull out of the oven and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Then add the onion mixture and goat cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted, drizzle with the balsamic shallot sauce and enjoy 🙂