I don’t know if I am getting more adventurous in the kitchen or just coming into my own, but I have once again not followed a recipe AND with something I have never cooked before! Yes, I am ashamed to admit, I have never had butternut squash up until I made this dish and omg I have been missing out! This salad not only makes me want to eat more salads, but makes me crave them! I had read a couple recipes with pan sauteed butternut squash and the pictures looked so pretty that I thought, why not give it a try?!
Ok first off, does anyone have any tricks/tips on cutting butternut squash?? That was an interesting task and pretty sure I wasted a lot of butternut squash, but once completed the rest of the dish was put together in no time!! The caramelization on the butternut squash gave the salad a nice sweetness which was paired nicely with the tartness of the goat cheese. It was a very comforting and satisfying weeknight meal! This was also a much needed healthy dinner after all the not so healthy things we consumed over the holidays 😉 .
Sauteed butternut squash salad:
- 1 box of fresh Arugula
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium butternut squashed chopped
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Goat cheese crumbles (as much as you prefer)
- Balsamic vinegar dressing*
- Pecans (as much as you prefer)
- Heat a the olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Add the butternut squash and brown sugar. Saute until there is a nice brown color on the squash. Reduce heat and cover until the squash is cooked through, about 15-20 mins.
- Mix arugula, red onion, goat cheese, pecans and balsamic dressing in a bowl. Place cooked butternut squash on top and serve.
See how easy that was?!
*I always make my own balsamic vinaigrette dressing: mix olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, shallots, salt and pepper and shake in a salad dressing shaker! So easy and way cheaper then buying it at the store. (I actually never measure any of this just go by taste and adjust)