When it comes to cooking, I have my few staples that I can cook by heart without looking at a recipe. But when it comes to being adventurous and trying new things, I always have a recipe I follow. Sometimes I vary here and there and add my own touch, however I usually follow 90% of the recipe. Recently I got inspired by 2 different recipes, but then after thinking about what I had in my refrigerator, I completely changed both to make my own! Our Bible study group was the guinea pig, bless their sweet hearts, and PF Changs was on speed dial because lets be real this could have been a disaster…….
BUT to my surprise, it turned out really tasty!! I saw a recipe that had Brussel sprouts in a pasta dish. I love brussel sprouts and I am always looking for a new way to cook them. My fridge was stocked full of veggies that needed to be used so I figured why not make a pasta dish that incorporated all of the things I already had on hand. This meal came together so quick and was super simple to make! I did not add any meat to the dish but this dish would be great to add chicken or steak. While it isn’t the healthiest dish I have made (especially if you have two heaping bowls as the husband did) it is way better then eating a pasta dish out at a restaurant (or so I tell myself 😉 ).
I am very happy with my first non recipe dish and it was widely approved by my brave guinea pigs :).
Fettuccine with brussel sprouts in a creamy sauce:
- 1lb brussel sprouts quartered
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup 1/2 & 1/2
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and prepare according to directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large pan over medium high heat. Add brussel sprouts and sprinkle with brown sugar and salt (to taste) and let sit for 1 min. Then saute for 5 mins. Add onion, mushrooms, and red pepper and cook until tender. (Can adjust the heat to med if needed, you just want a nice golden brown color on the brussel sprouts)
- Add heavy cream, 1/2 & 1/2, paremsan cheese, and salt. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 5-10 mins.
- Add the pasta to the sauce mixture and combine and serve!
*If sauce is to think you can save some pasta water and add it to the sauce to adjust the thickness